Road and Bridge Engineer
Byron Shire Council is focused on partnering with our community and offers pristine beaches, diverse lifestyles, a magnificent natural environment and a subtropical climate.
Byron Shire Council has a high performance, collaborative culture and we value our employees.
As a employee you would partner with an organisation that is taking steps in all areas to reduce our carbon emissions and be an innovative and sustainable council.
We provide a rewarding and flexible working environment and celebrate our values of:
- We lead with enthusiasm and purpose
- We are open, honest and respectful
- We foster well-being and creativity
- We achieve our goals and succeed together
We are looking for:
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity then this may be the role for you. We have passion and enthusiasm and are looking for like-minded people to join us on our journey.
Byron Shire Council is currently seeking an enthusiastic Engineer. The position plays a key role in delivering a high level of engineering technical services in the design, construction and maintenance of infrastructure and other civil works for the Works Team and the Infrastructure Services Directorate for Councils' road, drainage and associated assets.
Some specific tasks include:
- Investigate, design and supervise road and bridge construction and maintenance projects to ensure high quality outcomes in accordance with requirements and budget.
- Project manage preconstruction activities incorporating work orders & project files; electronic collection of GIS data; survey; location & relocation of services; geotechnical testing; geometric, road pavement and structural design; ecological assessments, environmental planning and assessment; construction methodology; cost estimates; project approval; preparation of job packages for internal project construction; and preparation of tender documents for contract project construction.
- Prepare specifications, contract documents or quotations, as required, for the supply of materials or execution of works, analyse tenders and report recommendations thereon.
- Prepare estimates, evaluate project costs and provide historical costs for future estimating.
- Provide technical advice and directions for construction of capital projects to Team Leader Bridges, Concrete & Signs and Team Leader Construction & Road Pavements to ensure high quality services are provided.
- Undertake maintenance planning and provide advice and directions to Team Leader Bridges, Concrete & Signs and Team Leader Construction & Road Pavements for maintenance activities to ensure high quality services are provided.
- Carry out specific technical analysis for complex situations.
- Keep abreast of development in theory and practice in engineering investigation and design of road and bridge assets.
- Ensure all relevant legislation is complied with, public risk is minimised and due diligence is exercised using a risk management approach to deliver road maintenance activities and to develop programs of work for capital projects.
- Respond to customer correspondence in a timely manner and in accordance with Council’s corporate guidelines.
- Investigate problems as they occur, propose solutions with respect to customer complaints and emergencies.
- Establish productive working relationships with professional groups, government departments and authorities, individuals, etc., external to the organisation whose activities have significance for Council’s operations in the area of construction and maintenance services for roads and bridges.
Enjoy our Employee Benefits
This opportunity offers:
- A permanent full time position
- Flexible working arrangements, work from home option up to 2 days per week post onboarding can be negotiated
- Salary and Conditions will be in accordance with the NSW Local Government (State) Award with an appointment at a salary in the range of $1,668.30 to $2,083.25 per 35 hour week (dependent upon skills and experience)
- Brightness of future
Other benefits include:
- 10.5% superannuation (from 1 July 2022)
- Annual salary reviews and increases based on award conditions (Annual Salary increase due 8 July 2023)
- Access to Long Service Leave from 5 years service
- Education and training support
- Flexible work hours
- Attractive salary packaging scheme.
- Employee Assistance Program (4 sessions per year)
- Fitness Passport
- Health and Wellbeing days
- Car lease includes full private use
- Opportunity to work with a supported, experienced and committed team
This position is based at Mullumbimby, however Council can require you to work from other work sites as required for operational reasons.
James Flockton - Infrastructure Planning Coordinator - 0266267158
10pm (NSW time), Sunday 28 May 2023. Late applications will not be permitted.
Download the Position Description Here (PDF,159KB)
We believe in diversity, inclusion and equality and are committed to ensuring that our workplaces are a reflection of our community. We recognise the benefits that diversity and inclusion brings, and in turn encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply for our vacancies.
We are open to discussing flexible working arrangements and encourage our people to explore new ways of working – including part-time, job-share or working from different locations. Everyone can ask about it.
We strongly encourage applications from people with disability and will provide reasonable adjustments in our recruitment process and in the workplace. If you need an adjustment during the recruitment process, please call or email the contact person listed above, and also advise us of your preferred method of communication.
Pre-Employment Screening Process:
- Reference Checks: Referees will preferably be your current or most recent supervisor and must be able to comment directly on your abilities in a work situation. If you have any objection to this action, your concerns should be raised in your application and be discussed with the Selection Panel.
- Functional Health Assessment: If applicable, the functional health assessment evaluates your physical and functional capacity against the physical demands necessary to safely perform the job for which you have applied.
- Background Screening: Background checks verify the information you have provided in your application, and where applicable, also check for relevant criminal history. Checks may also include, for example, a confirmation of your employment history, qualifications/tickets and working with children clearance.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please note: Once you start your online application you cannot save and return to it later. You must use your own email address and not one used previously by another person that has applied for a position with Council.
Being mindful of diversity and inclusion we have provided 2 options to apply for the position.
Option 1 - Written Application
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document, and then COPY and PASTE into the fields below.
Step 1: Fill out our online application form below. Once you have completed all the questions, click 'Next'
Step 2: Attach your resume/CV and a cover letter (optional). Once you have attached your document/s click 'Next'.
Step 3: Please review your application and confirm everything is correct. Click 'Confirm' to send your completed application.
You will receive an email to confirm your application has been received.
Option 2 - Audio File Application
Step 1: Scroll down and review the Questions that you are required to answer.
Step 2: Record an audio file of your responses and save the file (the file must be in an MP3 format and less than 50MB). Please note that all questions with a drop box or a check box as well as the reference checks details can not be answered via audio file and must be completed below.
Step 3: Fill out the Personal Details section and the questions that can not be completed by audio file on the application form below. For all of the Questions where you are responding via audio file, type the response “audio file”. Once you have completed all the questions, click 'Next'
Step 4: Attach your resume/CV, a cover letter (optional) and your audio file. Once you have attached your documents click 'Next'.
Step 5: Please review your application and confirm everything is correct. Click 'Confirm' to send your completed application.
You will receive an email to confirm your application has been received.